Thursday, September 11, 2008

Who Knew?


Who knew you could can potatoes? I was doing my morning walk with friend, Melany and she told me she canned potatoes. I had never canned potatoes, but being my favorite food I knew that was going to now be on my yearly list. And then.......(scary music)......she said she pressure canned them. I have a pressure cooker, but not a pressure canner. I am nervous putting my chicken and beef in there and now I have to put glass jars. Well, she was gracious enough to let me borrow hers and I tried it. I now have potatoes and another thing on my Christmas list.







In previous posts I said I was done until apples. Not true. I have now canned more juice, pickles and potatoes since then.



Yesterday I tried canning a jar of roasted tomatoes. I will use this to make a soup that Wade and I had for our 10 year anniversary in St Louis at Citizen Kanes Steak House. I just now have to recreate it from taste.



Food tip: When wanting a rich and tomato base roast the tomatoes in the oven for 1 1/2 hours on 350 stirring every 15 min and use only the meat of the tomatoes. Puree and use as the base of the dish.

No comments: